Top 10 Stupid Questions to Ask on a Cruise
Avoid these 10 questions and you’ll look like a pro cruiser.
Are you new to cruisin’? Would you like to cruise like a pro but feel you might say something ridiculous that might give away your newbie status?
Here are 10 questions to avoid asking and why:
10. Does the elevator go to the front of the ship? Generally, elevators go UP or DOWN. If you want to get to the front (which is the bow) of the ship you will have to walk to the front. Likewise for the back (called the stern) of the ship. There are maps on the ship, usually near the elevators, that will tell show you where you are and what is on the floor/side of the ship.
9. Is the iced tea hot? Do I need to explain this one?
8. Does the crew sleep on the ship? Not sure where else the crew would sleep except on the ship. The crew’s quarters are down, down, down in the belly of the ship. No passenger is allowed in the crew or staff’s quarters.
7. What is the elevation we are at? When you are on the sea, you would be at sea level.
6. What time is the midnight buffet? Another no-brainer that I even asked on my first cruise. The midnight buffet is at, say it all together, midnight! Many of the cruise lines are stopping this yummy tradition.
5. Is the water in the toilet fresh water or saltwater? What does it matter, I wonder? Why don’t you taste it and get back to me on that one. OK. Seriously. This question may come from the fact that many cruise ships pools are salt water. Drain the pools at night and refill with the nearest water; the ocean. From what I have been told, the water is regular water. But I didn’t want to find out and didn’t care, as long as it flushed!
4. Does the ship generate its own electricity? There is a l-o-n-g extension cord plugged into the port you sailed out of… just kidding. There are tours that you can sign up for and see all the workings of the ship from the kitchen to the stage shows.
3. What do you do with the ice sculptures after they melt? I have seen the ice sculptors use a chain saw and knives to create an amazing mermaid. The sculptor was used as a center piece at the midnight buffet. To answer the question, the ice melts into… water. I don’t know what the staff does with the ice sculptors when they start melting. Lick them? Put them in the sink? Save the water for the toilets? I can’t answer those questions.
2. Is the island surrounded by water? Here is the definition of an island: A land mass, especially one smaller than a continent, entirely surrounded by water.
And the #1 stupidest question:
If the photos aren’t marked, how do we know they are ours? The cruise lines have found another way to part you with your hard earned money: pictures! There are many, many picture opportunities and the cruise staff will be everywhere to help you remember your vacation! Your first picture is taken as soon as you walk on the boat. There are pictures for the nights you are dressed up to when you leave the ship for shore excursions. With thousands of passengers, there are literally thousands of printed pictures. Passengers can buy one or five or all of the pictures of them. How do you find your pictures?? Look for YOU in them! Pictures are grouped on walls in the photo center according to the day or the event.
Now that you know the top 10 stupid cruise questions, keep your ears open and you will hear others ask the questions you know better than to ask! And, you might hear more stupid questions!
Image property ofTAffy