10 Excuses for Coming Late for Work
Imagine this scenario – you’re late for work again and you got fired. You might be thinking, if only I could give a better excuse I will still get the job. In actual fact, you’re not the only one late for work. One in ten workers (13%) said that they arrive late to work at least once a week and about 24% said they arrive late at least once a month.
Try one of these 10 excuses and it might just save your day or probably your career:
- You weren’t in the office when I check in, so I went out looking for you. Sorry for the trouble.
- There was a heavy traffic on the road today and almost all the cars went halt. Make sure you don’t use this excuse if you’re an hour late.
- Oh, I forgot to bring along my laptop/documents/car keys/briefcase/hand phone along with me. I had to rush back home to get them. Luckily, my wife called me to rush back to take them.
- I overslept after working on the report all night yesterday. I didn’t realize it was time to wake up when the alarm clock snooze.
- Got a bad stomachache this morning. Spend almost an hour in the office toilet.
- Car broke down on the way to the office. It couldn’t restart. I admit that I did cause a jam on the highway.
- I didn’t know it is a working day today. Thanks for reminding me.
- My mom called and told she fell down from the stairs. I got too worried and rushed to fetch her to the hospital before coming in. There was a bad reception. Sorry for not calling in to inform you that I’m late.
- Being a Good Samaritan. A kid lost his parent on the way to school. Took a while to find for him.
- The lift took more than 20 minutes to arrive at the ground floor. It stops at almost every level. I will use the staircase in future.
Whatever your reason for coming late is, telling the truth is still the best way.