50 Useless Things Everyone Should Know
A list of amazing facts.
A list of some facts that might be interesting to some, but you can live without knowing some of them.
- The word “queue” is the only word in the English language that is still pronounced the same way when the last four letters are removed.
- Beetles taste like apples, wasps like pine nuts, and worms like fried bacon.
- Of all the words in the English language, the word “set” has the most definitions!
- What is called a “French kiss” in the English speaking world is known as an “English kiss” in France.
- “Almost” is the longest word in the English language with all the letters in alphabetical order.
- “Rhythm” is the longest English word without a vowel.
- In 1386, a pig in France was executed by public hanging for the murder of a child
- A cockroach can live several weeks with its head cut off!
- Human thigh bones are stronger than concrete.
- You can’t kill yourself by holding your breath
- There is a city called Rome on every continent.
- Your heart beats over 100,000 times a day!
- Horatio Nelson, one of England’s most illustrious admirals was throughout his life, never able to find a cure for his sea-sickness.
- The skeleton of Jeremy Bentham is present at all important meetings of the University of London
- Right handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people
- Your ribs move about 5 million times a year, every time you breathe!
- The elephant is the only mammal that can’t jump!
- One quarter of the bones in your body, are in your feet!
- Like fingerprints, everyone’s tongue print is different!
- The first known transfusion of blood was performed as early as 1667, when Jean-Baptist, transfused two pints of blood from a sheep to a young man
- Fingernails grow nearly 4 times faster than toenails!
- Most dust particles in your house are made from dead skin!
- The present population of 5 billion plus people of the world is predicted to become 15 billion by 2080.
- Women blink nearly twice as much as men.
- Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian, and had only ONE testicle.
- Honey is the only food that does not spoil. Honey found in the tombs of Egyptian pharaohs has been tasted by archaeologists and found edible.
- Months that begin on a Sunday will always have a “Friday the 13th.”
- Coca-Cola would be green if coloring weren’t added to it.
- On average a hedgehog’s heart beats 300 times a minute.
- More people are killed each year from bees than from snakes.
- The average lead pencil will draw a line 35 miles long or write approximately 50,000 English words.
- More people are allergic to cow’s milk than any other food.
- Camel shave three eyelids to protect themselves from blowing sand.
- The placement of a donkey’s eyes in its’ heads enables it to see all four feet at all times!
- The six official languages of the United Nations are: English, French, Arabic, Chinese, Russian and Spanish.
- Earth is the only planet not named after a god.
- It’s against the law to burp, or sneeze in a church in Nebraska, USA.
- You’re born with 300 bones, but by the time you become an adult, you only have 206.
- Some worms will eat themselves if they can’t find any food!
- Dolphins sleep with one eye open!
- It is impossible to sneeze with your eyes open
- The world’s oldest piece of chewing gum is 9000 years old!
- The longest recorded flight of a chicken is 13 seconds
- Queen Elizabeth I regarded herself as a paragon of cleanliness. She declared that she bathed once every three months, whether she needed it or not
- Slugs have 4 noses.
- Owls are the only birds that can see the color blue.
- A man named Charles Osborne had the hiccups for 69 years!
- A giraffe can clean its ears with its 21-inch tongue!
- The average person laughs 10 times a day!
- An ostrich’s eye is bigger than its brain